Monday 30 July 2012

Yesterday I sobbed in the arms of your brother.

Sun beginning to set. July 19th 2012 
I think of you 
From first light 
Till dusk.
You are only ever a heartbeat away.......

Until my heart stops its beating 
And stills........ 

I think of you as I hold my grandson in my arms
As you look out at us 
From behind the glass 
Of your picture frame.....

He brings me joy
And in that joy
I feel the pain of indefinable sadness
That you will not see him 
 On this earth.......

And suddenly 
I am overwhelmed
Unexpectedly............
The tears beginning to fall

And your brother.
Proud father to his young son 
Suddenly 
Crosses the room
And folds me in his arms
Saying
"I miss him too...................."

"I love you mum,"

So we sat
The two of us
And held each other tight
Knowing 
We will never be the same.

Both 
Tacitly facing 
A new month 
And the inexorable 
March of the days
From August 
To September......................

A few short weeks...............
Which relentlessly
Move
At the turning of the pages 
Of a calendar
Towards 
That date
That dreaded, awful date
Of a September evening........

When life was forever changed.................
 
Matthew July 2006.




   
   
 
 


  






No comments: